Today, I happened upon a post of Ashley’s about the A to Z challenge of gratitude. It’s easy enough, you just name something from each letter of the alphabet you’re grateful for. Well, I said it was easy, but it was actually kind of tough! Especially at the less common letters, I felt like I was playing scrabble.
Here’s my list!
- A – Animals. Dogs. Cats. Bunnies. I want about 10 of each. No matter what, petting an animal or laughing at a funny animal video always raises my spirits.
- B – Babysitting. H & S are the sunshine of my day, despite all the kid-size offenses that require me to play the disciplinarian. There’s nothing quite like one of their hugs, the sound of that laughter, or playing a silly game together.
- C – Comfort. Whether from a friend or my fuzzy bed blankets.
- D – DVR. A little silly, but catches all of my favorite television shows that I’d for sure miss otherwise. With a busy schedule like mine, I’m grateful to be able to watch at my own pace!
- E – Education. I was lucky to be able to have any many years of school and training as I did. While school work is never fun, I always really enjoyed learning new concepts and connecting them to my experiences.
- F – Football. For years I was not a sports fan. Now, my love of the Green Bay Packers gives me an outlet for my pent-up feelings as I yell and scream at the TV.
- G – Grandpa. After a really difficult year following his heart attack, he turned 86 this week. How blessed I am for him and his silly and cranky ways.
- H – Holidays. Christmas, Halloween, Easter, you name it. . The more I can decorate for it and the more excitement surrounding the holiday, the happier I am.
- I – Improvement. The little steps I’ve taken to better my life. It takes time. It takes patience with myself, but I’m getting there.
- J – Jewelry. Specifically, a necklace given to me by my grandmother and some earrings that are my Nana’s. Accessorizing helps me feel more confident and wearing my grandmothers’ things connects me to them.
- K – Karma. Specifically, good karma. I believe you get back what you put into this world.
- L – Leaves. Fall is my favorite time of the year, and these gorgeous colors make every afternoon drive a sight to see.
- M – Macaroni and cheese. My ultimate comfort food.
- N – Naps. Enough said.
- O – Organization. It keeps me on track to get everything done and as a result, relieve some stress!
- P – Playlists. Music feeds my soul. I’m almost always listening to it. My carefully curated playlists, made for to satisfy whatever emotion my mind is currently housing, are always something I can rely on to calm me down or charge me up.
- Q – Quiet time. I need my breaks as much as anyone else. Sometimes its nice to just sit without needing to meet anyone else’s expectations or needs.
- R – Reading. I wish I had more time to settle down with a book, because I love getting engrossed in a good story.
- S – Sunny days and sunsets. Little compares to the beauty of it, especially those colors in the sky as the day leaves us behind.
- T – Therapy. Event though J and I are in the middle of a rough patch, I wouldn’t have made quite the growth I have without our work together.
- U – Understanding. Those moments of support, encouragement, validation from others.
- V – Vacation. The ones I’ve taken and the many many I plan to take. Or even just a four-day weekend from work.
- W – WordPress. I stole this one from Ashley, but who wouldn’t be thankful for this community? I love each and every one of you.
- X – Xenopus. It’s a clawed frog. The word is fun to say. Honestly, I was having trouble coming up with one for this, so I picked at random. But I’m happy this little guy is part of our world!
- Y – Yearning. For love. For friendship. For independence. Sometimes, it’s what keeps me fighting.
- Z – Zones of Regulation. A counseling program I’m working on with my students at school, but also learning a lot from. All about the strategies you use for different color-coded emotions.
If you’re reading this, I challenge you to try it too. The more creative your answers, the better.